oh my, without your intending it, I do feel under pressure as I really want to try to finish the article by the end of the vorlesungszeit.
Thinking about my article, I'll have quite some things to integrate. I know that my focus are AAs. To cover up the theoretical foundation seems to be the easiest part. What still bothers me, is the lack of concrete examples. Even if I mention how many AA visitors were there, what jobs they had at the fair... these are aspects that do not bear a great 'volume', i.e. these aspect will not result in a lot of text passages. In the end, I'll have to explain that the Century of Progress Exposition didn't have a very positive outcome for AAs. Stating this, I could come to a better example, an example of AA progress in being included into fairs: the Hall of Negro Life at the Texas Centennial. Unfortunately, I'll have to break away from the Chicago if I want to write more than "AAs were massively discriminated and hardly represented at the Century of Progress Exposition". I'm still not sure; let's see what Cherly Ganz holds in store.
I wonder whether it will be useful to read something more about photography, e.g. by Julie Brown. The problem is that I cannot use the keyword search with those texts, and to scroll through all the pages... please, no...
The official guidebook already indicates discriminatory features when you only read the list of attractions, e.g. Negro Plantation Show and African Dips (is it this feature with the ball and a 'negro' on a board installed above a water tank?). But apart from the mere denomination, there's not much more about blacks except the short description of the African diamond mine and the cabin by DePoint Sable. And of course no mentioning of 'segregated services' with regard to transportation or accomodation. Puh, I cannot stare on the screen anymore; my eyes are even aching a bit rigth now.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.